Monday 4 January 2010

The White Ribbon - Review

Michael Haneke's 'The White Ribbon' has received much praise in 2009, I enjoyed 'Hidden' (2005), although I am not sure I understand it even after post viewing research, so with this in mind I was expecting to find the film to be another obscure parable. What I found was a beautiful and subtle film, however, unlike 'Hidden', Haneke is quite clear and direct about what he wants the viewer to take from his film.

The film masterfully captures an idyllic agricultural village in Germany just prior to the outbreak of the First World War in which a series of unfortunate happenings occur. It becomes apparent that these events are related and viewed in hindsight affords us an understanding of what is to come in history.

Despite the idyllic backdrop, Haneke portrays the village as a society addled with sinister malevolence and immorality, largely ignored by the puritanical Lutheran pastor. The pervasiveness of evil spreads unchecked, vanquishing innocence (which is represented by a white ribbon).

Last year the first film I saw was 'The Spirit', which was one of the most awful films I have ever seen, this year begun for me with 'The White Ribbon'; I have a good feeling about this year, although I suspect it will be a long time before I see a film better than this.

No comments:

Post a Comment